Airports can be stressful, especially when the environment and the facilities don’t provide the best service for travelers. This can have a huge impact on the vacation experience overall. But many travelers wonder, which are the best airports?
A new study has the answer.
The Airports Council International (ACI) World and Amadeus–a travel technology company— announced on Monday through a press release the winners of the Airport Service Quality (ASQ) Awards 2023. This recognition is based on passengers’ experiences and their satisfaction on the day they traveled.
Over 465,000 surveys were collected last year, and, as part of the criteria, 30 performance indicators were included in the study.
In total, 144 awards have been delivered to 75 airports—members of the ASQ program. The categories include the traditional Best Airport by Size and Region, and four new categories are included in this year’s edition: Airport with the Most Dedicated Staff, Easiest Airport Journey, Most Enjoyable Airport, and Cleanest Airport.
Travelers voted, and these are the highlights of the winners of 2023:
The Best Large Airports In The World
According to the data shared, the largest airports with over 40 million passengers providing the best service for travelers are:
In North America:
- Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (Dallas, United States of America)
- San Francisco International Airport (San Francisco, United States of America)
Top 5 Travel Insurance Plans For 2023 Starting At $10 Per Week
- Aeroporto di Roma-Fiumicino (Rome Fiumicino, Italy)
- Istanbul Airport (Istanbul, Turkey)
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (Mumbai, India)
- Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport (Guangzhou, China)
- Indira Gandhi International Airport (Delhi, India)
- Shanghai Pudong International Airport (Shanghai, China)
- Shenzhen Bao’an International Airport (Shenzhen, China)
- Singapore Changi Airport (Singapore, Singapore)
Best Airports At Arrival
Despite the hustle and bustle, travelers have decided that these are the easiest and best airports to arrive to:
- Abu Dhabi International Airport (Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates)
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (Atlanta, United States of America)
- Kempegowda International Airport (Bangalore, India)
The organization has made a special recognition for five airports that have earned multiple awards during the past ten years over a five-year period.
- I Gusti Ngurah Rai Airport (Bali, Indonesia)
- Helsinki Airport (Helsinki, Finland)
- Guanacaste Airport (Liberia, Costa Rica)
- Tallinn Airport (Tallinn, Estonia)
- Quito International Airport (Quito, Ecuador)
These airports are now part of the Director General’s Roll of Excellence of the ACI.
Best Airports In The New Categories
A few airports stood out in the new categories included in the most recent survey. The new criteria considered recent events like the pandemic and focused on services that added value to passengers during the transition to a more normal travel experience.
The category of the most enjoyable airport recognized the offerings —like shops, restaurants, entertainment, and other amenities— making them perfect for layovers. The other awards were assigned to the cleanest, the easiest journey, and the most dedicated staff.
These airports won multiple awards:
- Aeroporto di Roma-Fiumicino (Rome Fiumicino, Italy): This airport was recognized as one of the most enjoyable airports, one of the cleanest airports, and for having the most dedicated Staff.
- Guayaquil International Airport and Quito International Airport (in Ecuador): Both airports in this country were recognized among the best in Latin America for their amenities, cleanliness, and friendly staff. Ecuador has been of interest to international travelers and digital nomads, especially now that the government has announced a new digital nomad visa.
- In Africa, Casablanca Mohammed V International Airport in Morocco was awarded the most dedicated staff and the easiest airport journey awards. And Dakar Blaise Diagne International Airport in Senegal has been recognized as the most enjoyable and cleanest airport in the region.
- In Asia, the Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Malaysia and the Sultan Hasanuddin International Airport in Indonesia earned all awards: easiest airport journey, most enjoyable airport, cleanest airport, and the most dedicated staff.
- In North America, the airport that also earned all four awards was the Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport. Portland International Jetport and the Gerald R. Ford International Airport also earned recognition in two categories.
Travelers interested in seeing the full list of the 75 airports awarded can find it on the Airports Council International official website.
Traveler Alert: Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!
↓ Join Our Community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the latest reopening news, conversations, and Q&A’s happening daily!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your email address to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s latest breaking travel news, straight to your inbox
This article originally appeared on TravelOffPath.com